Digital Historical Topographic Maps Now Available for Nevada
USGS has just posted its historical topographic map collection for the state of Nevada online for download by the public. This map collection includes over 3,634 historic maps across the state with some maps dating back over 100 years. All published map scales are available, including:7.5-minute (1:24,000), 15-minute (~1:63,000), 30-minute (1:100,000), and
1×2 degree (1:250,000), and have been scanned at a higher density than previous DRG editions. You are invited to access the collection and download any of the maps.
To get the maps, visit the USGS Store site at:
Then click on the “Map Locator & Downloader” in the center of the page.
1. Information about the USGS historical topographic map collection and the historical quadrangle scanning project can be found here:
2. We have a 19 minute video from the September 2011 International Map Trade Association Conference on distribution of USGS historical topo maps:
3. See a press release on the historical topographic map collection.
The article pre-dates the Arizona map release but provides additional information on the project:
Note that while looking around the USGS Store and the National Map web pages, you may also come across new maps for Nevada called US Topo. These are new topographic maps now in production for Nevada (shown as red hachuring). These can also be downloaded through the USGS Store and are available as GeoPDF® files. There will be further announcements on US Topo as production wraps up for Nevada in the near future. US Topo will be produced over USFS areas. (‘Beta’ versions of the topo (which shows as yellow hachuring) will be taken off line due to very minimal content specifications.)
US Topo is the next generation of digital topographic maps from USGS. Arranged in the traditional 7.5-minute quadrangle format, digital US Topo maps are designed to look and feel like the traditional paper topographic maps for which the USGS is so well known. At the same time, US Topo maps provide modern technical advantages that support wider and faster public distribution and enable basic, on-screen geographic analysis for all users.
US Topo maps are available free on the Web. Each map quadrangle is available as a GeoPDF® file created from key layers of geographic data – orthoimagery, roads, geographic names, contours and hydrographic features – found in the National Map, which is a nationwide collection of integrated data from local, State, Federal, and other sources.
Like the historical topographic map collection, we have lots of information on US Topo and related products:
1. US Topo information is online at
2. Additional fact sheets about National Map products and services are at
3. News items and tweets on the USGS National Geospatial Program are at
4. USGS values your comments and suggestions about new US Topo and historical topographic maps. Please submit comments online at
If you have any questions on the historical topographic map collection or US Topo, contact:
US Geological Survey National Geospatial Program
3020 State University Drive East
Sacramento, CA 95819