Sparkling or Still? A Tour of Geology from Soda Lakes to Stillwater Marsh, Nevada
By Craig M. dePolo, Christopher D. Henry, Andrew V. Zuza, Rachel E. Micander, and James E. Faulds
Series: Educational Series 63
Format: 25 pages, color
Geoscientists from Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology explained the geology of the Fallon area in celebration of Earth Science Week 2018 and the importance of earth sciences to the people of the state of Nevada.
If you missed this interesting field trip, you can use this guide to explore the area on your own.
Major stops on this field trip will include the following:
- Salt Wells geothermal power plant
- Rainbow Mountain earthquake fault scarp
- “Nevada Wonderstone” rockhounding locality
- “Big Dig” flood mitigation project in Lahontan Valley
- Rattlesnake Hill, a “young” (<1 million year old) volcanic cinder cone and lava flow complex overlooking Fallon
- Soda Lake volcanoes (youngest in Nevada!)